Thursday 15 September 2011

Mala Beads

So as a keen Yoga enthusiasts, aspiring meditator and most things spiritual I've discovered mala beads. I love a spiritual connection associated with pieces of jewellery, spiritual or even practical, and as soon as I heard about mala beads (or mediation or Japa beads), I was instantly intrigued. 

These beads are commonly used by Buddhists during chanting, repeating mantras and meditaion, usually consisting of 108 beads, with each bead representing a repition of a mantra. Malas can come in vaious materials according to what you want them to be used for. For example, wooden beads are generally used for a variety of mantras, and even specific wooden beads from specific types of tree serve their own purpose.

So whilst in Thailand I knew I really wanted to find one. At first I didnt see any at all (not sure what I expected really), but after a night out on our way home in a taxi, I noticed the driver had in fact had the beads hanging from his mirror. After a few attempts at trying to communicate with him as to where he got them, he finally understood what I meant and said 'Temple'. So, off we went to the temple the next day for some sightseeing, and I was really hoping I would find them! Low and behold next to the Giant Buddhas was a little shop selling religious pieces, run by a monk who randomly and kindly gave my boyfriend and I some friendship looking bracelets for good luck.

Anyhoo, I finally found my beads which has taken pride of place on my own buddha, (naturally).

No comments:

Post a Comment