Tuesday 24 May 2011

Moroccan Berber Jewellery

Traditional Berber jewellery

I’ve always loved traditional ‘ethnic’ jewellery from various parts of the world. I love the variety of bold pieces in striking colours and designs, all following similar themes reflecting a great sense of cultural identity, and for the most part can be traced back to various historical traditions and symbolism.

A couple of years back I had the privilege of visiting Morocco. There I discovered the gorgeous Berber jewellery; I’d say my favourite style of bead jewellery. If anyone has ever made a visit to Marrakech, in particular the incredible Jamaa El Fna you will most likely have come across Berber jewellery at some point. Needless to say I bought a fair amount! The bold pieces are mainly beading and silver, with key abstract and geometric patterns, and large, striking centre pieces.

The jewellery is often made by an independent craftsman, and I love the fact that such a unique and beautiful art form has not been exploited and is still very true to its cultural identity and traditions. 
Some of my collection..




No comments:

Post a Comment